I didn’t grow up with The Dark Crystal the way that I did other Henson properties. Labyrinth, Fraggle Rock, and The Muppets were a vital part of my childhood, but somehow, I didn’t see The Dark Crystal until I was around 16. It’s not a movie that I revisit as often as I do the others, as I have to be in a particular mood to fully appreciate it. That is not to say that I dislike The Dark Crystal by any stretch of the imagination. It is a film that I find fascinating on an artistic and technological level.
I like to pick an MVP whenever I write an article, but I am going a little different for The Dark Crystal and am not picking a character. If I did, it would be Aughra – the oracle that Jen seeks for help and who has no time for anybody’s shit. No, my MVP is the creature design, puppetry, and animatronics created for the film. My most recent watch was filled with me often pausing to get a better look at the scenery and the puppets. The amount of time and dedication used in creating this world is incredible. I would recommend that after watching, readers watch any special features related to the making of The Dark Crystal.
As always, I will leave you with Robyn’s Ramblings!
• They did such a good job creating a new world with this movie.
• Skeksis are the worst. Creepy, gross bird…things.
• Is it wrong that I find Gelflings the least interesting of the species?
• The puppetry/animatronics are freaking amazing.
• How did Jen decide on that haircut? It's like layers, but terrible.
• The Mystics are a little hippy-dippy, huh?
• Skeksis fighting is odd. It's just whacking at a large rock.
• The ripping of the clothes off Chamberlain is upsetting.
• Aughra ain't got time for this shit.
• Jen is the Kenny G of Thra.
• Jen's escape method from danger is to fall out of a window.
• This jungle is a botanists dream.
• The Mystics really should have prepared Jen better for this quest.
• Sup Kira and Fizzgig?
• Eating lunch during the scene that the Skeksis are having a meal is a poor choice.
• Aughra is the best.
• The Podlings know how to party.
• Jen needs to focus. Kira asks questions about next steps, and he's like "Hell if I know! Let's dance!"
• Garthrim come in like they're the Kool-Aid Man.
• "Won't find us here!" Kira, you guys, ran like 15 feet.
• The Skeksis scientist's lair is basically the Pit of Despair.
• Jen! Now is the time to save the world, not to look for your girlfriend.