by Adam Riske
1. There’s a lot of face trauma and collateral damage to sympathetic extras in this movie.
2. My favorite action sequences in the movie are the helicopter chase (because all chases should have a helicopter) and the truck-motorcycle chase. It’s so well edited!
3. This was my first R-rated movie in theaters! I also used to want Edward Furlong’s haircut from this movie, but my barber told me I didn’t have enough hair to do that.
4. It’s so refreshing that Miles Dyson (Joe Morton, one of my favorite character actors) is onboard with the plan to take down Skynet. If this came out today there would totally have been a heel turn midway through their raid.
6. Linda Hamilton should have been nominated for an Academy Award for her work in this movie. It’s just as strong as Sigourney Weaver in Aliens, who was justifiably nominated.
7. This movie has one of my favorite posters. And the merch! Let’s talk about the merch for T2! I had everything – the comics, the trading cards, the video games, the cup from Subway, movie magazines, the soundtrack…I was obsessed. I want that pinball machine.
8. They should have ended the series after this movie. You can’t top T2, so why bother trying? I think the future sequels misunderstand the appeal, which is that it’s a macho Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, and James Cameron action franchise. The other movies seem to believe we love the Skynet and War with the Machines lore. The ending of this movie (with Arnold lowering himself into the Mount Doom queso) even supports this on a meta level. John Connor is arguing to not let the series die and for there to be more sequels and the T-800 and Sarah Connor are looking at each other like “Oh no, we gotta quit while we’re ahead. Trust me, it’s better this way.”
10. I was obsessed with the Guns N’ Roses single (“You Could Be Mine”) from T2. I had a cassette single for it (the flip side of which had the song “Civil War”) and I made my poor family listen to it over and over on a road trip once. I remember watching the MTV top 20 music video countdowns and being completely invested on where “You Could Be Mine” was ranked and whether it was rising or falling on the chart. I still like the song very much.
That’s all for Camp Carolco this summer, but get ready for Creepy Carolco in October featuring Angel Heart and Jacob’s Ladder!