by Adam Riske
• Best Scene/Moment: There’s a scene where Kirsten Dunst goes to a Quinceanera at Jay Hernandez’s family’s house dressed provocatively. As she’s leaving the house, two women mutter under their breath the word “Sucia” which is slang in Spanish (according to Urban Dictionary) for “a dirty, skanky ass female.” When I went to see Crazy/Beautiful in theaters in 2001 and this moment happened, half of the audience (that didn’t speak Spanish) was silent and half of the audience (that did speak Spanish) was laughing very, very hard. I’ll never forget it. It was a great moviegoing moment.
• Best Food (tie): Jay Hernandez’s mom makes him scrambled eggs before school and I wanted some of those eggs. Also, there’s another scene where he takes Kirsten Dunst and Taryn Manning to a food truck and Dunst says they’re the best tacos she’s ever had and that made me want to go to a food truck with Kirsten Dunst.
• Best Merch Available on eBay Right Now: A “Crazy/Beautiful (VHS, 2001)” for $2.20. So, why is this a big deal? Look at the picture and you’ll see it’s Bethani Gorter’s personal copy of Crazy/Beautiful. I have no idea who this person is, but this VHS is not being sold by her so maybe this copy was stolen? Borrowed and never given back? Floated away like the feather in Forrest Gump?
• Double It with This 2001 Movie: Get Over It
• Year 2001 Movies to Trailer Before It: Bubble Boy, On the Line, Save the Last Dance
• Draft Day or Crazy/Beautiful? Draft Day
• Grab Bag Video:
Here’s a video from the red carpet of the Crazy/Beautiful premiere! It’s complete with the same ignorant question asked three times (0:45, 2:55 and 4:22 mark), grumpy James Cameron (?) photobomb (1:00 mark) and a John “Who needs marks?” Stockwell jump scare (5:07 mark).
• Mall Movie? It’s borderline, but since it’s a teen romance I’ll say yes, it’s a mall movie.
• Only in 2000: Bruce Davison says something like “I’m sure you’ve seen your share of friends sucked into la vida loca” to Jay Hernandez and then pauses and continues “not just a Ricky Martin song…”
• Scene Stealer: Bruce Davison
• I Miss: Jay Hernandez showing up in three genre movies a year. He’s smooth.
• I Don’t Miss: Taryn Manning. She’s rough.
• 2001 Crush: Kirsten Dunst. She’s beautiful.
• 2021 Crush: Kirsten Dunst. She’s my generation’s Winona Ryder.
• What I Think in 2021: I miss movies like Crazy/Beautiful. It still works as good drama even if the ending is a bit tidy. The movie was cut from an R-rating to a PG-13 and it shows. It feels grittier than it’s allowed to be. It’s not a big deal, though, because Dunst and Hernandez are both very good, charismatic actors with strong chemistry together and that’s most important in a romantic drama. I think this couple probably made it to 2003 and broke up.