Iron Man 3. I like most of the Marvel movies to some extent. They are entertaining and energetic. But they are starting to bug me. These movies are not going away anytime soon. They’re too big to fail. They print money. I’m not saying tear them down. I’m saying they need to step it up for Phase Two. Here’s how.
The Avengers be at least as exciting as any of the 100 hand-to-hand fights from The Raid: Redemption?
• Comment on Society/Have More Meaning:
Shouldn’t the Marvel Avengers movies be more ambitious? The X-Men series is about tolerance and civil rights and Christopher Nolan’s Batman series commented on terrorism. The Avengers' series of movies are just entertainment in my eyes. Why can’t they just be entertainment? My answer is because they are the summit of pop culture right now. They make the most money, they have the widest audience and they are directly affecting creative decisions for the most powerful form of art there is: movies.
In the words of Uncle Ben, "With great power comes great responsibility."
Marvel movies have themes, but they are self-contained themes and not commenting enough on today’s society. But before we get to that, let me say this: I work in an office and people often want to have "film conversations" with me about Marvel movies. I do it, but I’m often disinterested within a minute because it’s like talking about cotton candy. Sure, it’s good when you have it, but it disappears quickly from your senses and leaves you still feeling hungry. Marvel movies are like that to me. These movies reach the biggest audience globally of any other movie series – they need to stop squandering that opportunity. Have more on your mind, Marvel movies!
Why not delve deeper into some of these?
1. The Military Industrial complex
2. The responsibilities of corporations and the one percent
3. Mental health and wellness
4. Performance enhancing drugs
• Have Iconic Scores: The Avengers need hummers! Not those kind of hummers, but memorable theme songs. I would argue that not one of the Avengers characters has their own identifiable theme music a la Batman, Superman etc. Isn’t it a no-brainer for filmmakers to make sure that’s included? How do the Marvel movies have the audacity to feature such generic music?
What would you like to see from Marvel in Phase Two?