by Adam Riske
• Best Scene/Moment: I really love the final sequence that rolls into the end credits where we see that Lilo (and her sister) have formed a surrogate family with Stitch and some of the other characters (even former CIA agent Cobra Bubbles is there for Thanksgiving!). The “Ohana” theme of the movie is very sweet and always gets to me.
• Best Song: Lilo & Stitch is full of Elvis Presley originals and covers with my favorite being “(You’re the) Devil in Disguise.”
• Best Merch: A “Dean Deblois Hand Drawn Lilo & Stitch Cartoon Sketch 11x14…” for $499.00. This is super pricey but the item itself (signed by one of the film’s co-directors) is pretty sweet. It looks like something you would see at one of those Disney art galleries at the mall.
• Double It with This 2002 Movie: Treasure Planet
• Year 2002 Movies to Trailer Before It: The Country Bears, The Santa Clause 2, Tuck Everlasting
• Draft Day or Lilo & Stitch? Lilo & Stitch
• Only in 2002: Animated Jason Scott Lee.
• Scene Stealer: Kevin McDonald.
• I Miss: 2D-animated Disney movies.
• I Don’t Miss: The “Stitch’s Great Escape” ride at Walt Disney World.
• 2002 Crush: Tia Carrere.
• 2022 Crush: Tia Carrere.
• What I Think in 2022: I’m no longer dating the same woman (which was the reason I didn’t revisit Lilo & Stitch for years), but that hasn’t made me enjoy the film any less. I still love how silly and weird it is (Disney movies aren’t usually allowed to be this odd) and Stitch as a character is one of Disney’s best. It’s become a movie I’ve shared with younger members of my family over time, which has made it just as personally meaningful as it was in 2002 but in a cool, different way. I love the watercolor animation style too (which was a throwback to early Walt Disney Studios animation). I’m a big enough fan of this movie that I almost got a Stitch tattoo pre-pandemic. I think I’m gonna do that in 2023!
Every time I watch it I'm reminded what a genius Chris Sanders is and why it's my favorite Disney movie.ReplyDelete
I didn't like Lilo & Stitch when I first saw it but I enjoy it now. I was upset about their cartoon characterizations of people from Hawaii. Esp the Asian/Poly guy, who they forgot to make sexy. AGAIN. Also, where is the bone structure in the drawings of the faces? Hawaii gave you Tia Carrere, Jason Momoa and Keanu REEVES. Where are the cheekbones in these cartoons, why do we look like blobby kids? Annoying. Inaccurate. Uncool.ReplyDelete
But that was then, this is now, I'm over it. Stitch alone is as good as all the best viral puppy reels combined. I love the animation and the music. I also miss Disney's 2D animation!!! I don't know what kind of malls you have where you live, but in Hawaii, Disney movies will play like 6 out 10 screens in a theater.