by Patrick Bromley
We've come to the end of another Junesploitation, and it was arguably our biggest yet. Between everyone watching and commenting here on the site and on Twitter, it felt like we had more people participating and more movies watched than ever before. Thank you all for making this goofy idea such a success.
Despite being a busy month for us here -- as I know it was for so many of you -- Erika and I managed to watch at least one movie every day, and sometimes more than one. We mostly tried to stick to first-time watches, but there were a few repeats thrown in (Shag for Teenagers! day, The Parent Trap for Kids! day [a first time watch for me, a repeat for E], Burying the Ex [a first time watch for E, a repeat for me], etc.). We must have done a better job curating together than I have in the past, because there were very few duds. Here are some of my favorite discoveries for the month.
1. The Gumball Rally (1976, dir. Chuck Bail) - Cars!
2. Emma Mae (1976, dir. Jamaa Fanaka) - Blaxploitation!
3. Lust in the Dust (1984, dir. Paul Bartel) - Free Space!
4. The Vengeful Beauty (1978, dir. Meng-hua Ho) - Kung fu!
5. Verotika (2019, dir. Glenn Danzig) - New Horror!
Thanks to everyone for a great Junesploitation! Just 12 weeks to #ScaryMovieMonth!