by Lexy Van Dyke
This immersion ended up being one of my favorite things I’ve done all year. It made me see which subgenres I could enjoy and which were generally too much for me (aka body horror is not really my bag). Throughout my navigation in October and the year, I could feel myself exploring themes and seeing concepts that I hadn’t seen before in horror. It has been educational year and has made me a genuine horror fan. I have made a list below of the films that stood out to me, although I’m sure others have recognized their greatness previously. I learned I’m much stronger than I thought I ever believed and I look forward to watching even more films in 2018 that I previously never believed I could watch.
The Blackcoat’s Daughter
The Others, which is one of my favorite horror films. I was not disappointed. It is a calm, beautiful film that gives you 60% information and then leaves you guessing the other 40% of the time. The three main actresses, Emma Roberts, Kiernan Shipka, and Lucy Boynton give intense and attuned performances with this film's deliberate mood. Also, it has maybe one of the best uses of score to create a sense of dread in the audience that makes you uneasy the entire time you are viewing the film and after. This is a film that makes you feel scared in the best possible way.
here if you end up watching it and see if you come to a similar conclusion as me.
The Red Queen Kills 7 Times
Better Watch Out
something else). There is so much I want to say about this movie but I really can’t because I don’t want to spoil anyone’s experience with it. Just pay attention to the main three actors and how they are playing off the expectations of a slasher film. There is way more to break down, but I think that’s the only thing I can divulge at this point. Just watch it and watch out.
the Before Sunrise trilogy, all of my friends told me to watch Spring. When I got Shudder, it was one the first things I watched. Leaning into a love story/travelogue more than a pure horror film, it tells the story of a young man, Lou Taylor Pucci, going to Italy after his mother dies. He meets a lovely young woman, Nadia Hilker, and they start a relationship. Playing like a twisted fairytale and filmed like a '70s European art film, it is one of the most gorgeous films I’ve ever seen. I truly loved the two lead performances and their chemistry makes the stakes of the film. If you are a romance buff who wants to dip your toes in the water of horror, this is a great jumping off point.
Neon Demon in portraying a literal dark side of the entertainment industry. Starry Eyes edges out Neon Demon, to me, based on the lead's performance. Alex Essoe’s portrayal of a desperate starlet is way stronger than Elle Fanning’s listless, affected beauty. This film goes to brutal lengths to show the levels of debasement that goal-oriented people will go to in a pressure-driven industry such a show business. With the harassment in Hollywood coming to light in the last few months, this film rings especially true and takes on even more disheartening and unnerving levels. The effects of this film are gut wrenching and not for the faint of heart, but the conclusion is entirely worth the distress.