Of all the years I've been making this "favorite moments" list, I feel like this was the toughest. I think part of the reason is that my memory becomes weaker with each passing year, causing the hundreds of movies I saw in 2017 to blend together. I also think that it's a function of the films themselves; while there were many, many good movies last year, I don't think there were quite as many showcase segments of those good movies as there have been in years past. Many of you reading this are already disagreeing with me and coming up with lists of your own favorite moments, which some of you will then name in the comments in "You forgot about..." fashion. And the truth is, yes, I will have forgotten a bunch. Or I won't have seen those movies. Or I picked a different scene. What I'm saying is that the world is a rainbow, and let's keep that in mind before we "Well, actually" one another.
Without further ado...
- The dance, The Shape of Water
- Woody Harrelson's letter, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- Stephen Colbert watches the "very special" Home Improvement promo, Too Funny to Fail
- Vince Vaughn destroys a car, Brawl in Cell Block 99
- The Holdo Maneuver, Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- The finger, Raw
- The hand, Gerald's Game
- "You dig on multiverses?" Wish Upon
- No Man's Land, Wonder Woman
- Peter Parker picks up his date, Spider-Man: Homecoming
- "Now you're gonna make me kill this fucking clown," IT
- Kong takes out some helicopters, Kong: Skull Island
- Luke's stand, Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Texting on the train, Personal Shopper
- It's raining cars, The Fate of the Furious
- Stealing the bank vault, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
- "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!" Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Michael Fassbender plays the flute, Alien: Covenant
- Staircase fight, Atomic Blonde
- Tessa Thompson, Thor: Ragnarok
- Jessica Chastain, Molly's Game
- Tommy shoots the roof scene, The Disaster Artist
- "This is what it feels like," Logan
- Dr. Stelline creates and then watches a memory, Blade Runner 2049
- "Neat Neat Neat," Baby Driver
- Get the keys, Get Out
- Demolition derby, Cars 3
- Ashley Bell sings, Psychopaths
- Terry and Bob go to Iceland, War on Everyone
- The shootout, Wind River
- Willem Dafoe escorts a man from the playground, The Florida Project
- Dave Matthews Band, Mayhem
- The sink breaks in Mother!
- Samara Weaving plays spin the bottle, The Babysitter
- James McAvoy dances, Split
- The climax of The Killing of a Sacred Deer
- Lady Bird hugs Danny, Lady Bird
- Anne Hathaway in South Korea, Colossal
- Christina Kirk's monologue, XX
- Michael Stuhlbarg's monologue, Call Me By Your Name
- The entire opening sequence of John Wick Chapter 2
- The entire opening sequence of The Villainess
- Ghost in the city, A Ghost Story
- Monster at the movies, The Shape of Water
- The final shot, The Beguiled
- Showing how the front page is made, The Post
- Rihanna's number, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Glad you mentioned the train texting in Personal Shopper. Never would I have guessed that a prolonged texting scene could be so unsettling and revealing.ReplyDelete
GREAT moments!! To mention some of my own (not 'well actually' just adding to the party),ReplyDelete
Diana & Steve on the boat, "Wonder Woman"
The Subway, "Darkest Hour"
The Other Side, "The Greatest Showman"
I don't like that word, "Thor Ragnarok"
Ending Scene, "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"
Dance in the snow, "Wonder Woman"
Damn great list. Some I need to see. Happy new year! What's the first 2018 movie you're going to see?ReplyDelete
I'm all over Paddington 2. I'm a sucker.Delete
oh shit, Proud Mary is coming out too. Double feature.Delete
The Villainess! YES! Also I completely forgot Personal Shopper came out this year. I'm way behind on movies right now but I think the enormous Joi advertisement interacting with K in Blade Runner 2049 is still my favorite thing, for sheer spectacle and also the effortless storytelling involved in that scene.ReplyDelete
Super great moments here! I especially liked "Ghost in the City" from A Ghost story and "No Man's Land" from Wonder Woman!ReplyDelete
Much like Patrick, a lot of this stuff blurs in my mind over the course of a year. I think my favorite moment though was Mantis touching Drax/reading his emotions in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Just a beautiful visual character moment.ReplyDelete